Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Building a new roaster

I've been roasting in an SC/TO for a while, and while it's great, I wish it could roast greater quantities (I start getting uneven roasts after about 13 ounces) and I wish the SC motor was heavier duty.

So, I've taken note of people roasting in bread machines, in particular this great design by Ed. and so when I came across one in Goodwill, well, I just had to...


Meet R2D2, aka the Welbilt Bread Machine.





Now, because I didn't like the pan size (and because I felt like taking things apart) I decide to deconstruct this puppy and see what makes her tick.

Off came her skin and out came her electronics.

Let's lose those silly fuses and thermostats too.






I tossed the small aluminum teflon pan (not pictured) after ripping off the mounting h/w on bottom. I remounted that on a stainless steel mixing bowl with holes drilled in the bottom (pictured.)


I'm leaving the heater in (at least for now) and will mount switches later.






Here's where it stands tonight. I need to get a 4 inch shaft to extend the stirring rod. And I need to build a new stirring rod, as the original came with some sort of plastic coating that I don't trust at 500 degrees.

Put its skin back on and sit a turbo-oven on top, and it'll look like R2D2 wearing a hat. Let's hope it roasts, though.

No comments: